Sullys Hill is located on the south shore of Devils Lake in Benson County. The preserve consists of 1,674 acres ranging from prairie to forested hills and is home to a wide assortment of wildlife including migratory birds, bison, elk, and prairie dogs.
President Theodore Roosevelt designated Sullys Hill originally as a National Park in 1904. In 1917 and 1918, elk, bison and white-tailed deer were reintroduced to Sullys Hill. These large herbivores had been eliminated from the area during settlement due to over-hunting. On March 3, 1931, Congress transferred Sullys Hill to the National Wildlife Refuge System where it would be maintained as a "big game preserve, refuge and breeding grounds for wild animals and birds."